One of the most visible mosques in Cairo is the Mosque of Muhammad Ali Pasha, located in the Citadel. Muhammad Ali, who reigned in Egypt 1805-1849, built the mosque. At the height of his power, he controlled Egypt, Sudan, Hejaz and the Levant. He permanently ended the Mamluk hold over Egypt.
The mosque is located inside the Citadel of Saladin. This mosque is also called the “Alabaster Mosque” due to its marble paneling on both its interior and exterior walls. It is built on the Turkish style, specifically the architectural style of the Ottomans, and consists of an open court and prayer hall. The main building material is limestone, likely “recycled” from the Great Pyramids of Giza.
Our photo here shows the interior courtyard and the fountain for washing:
And now a view inside the Mosque’s interior:
The view of Cairo from the Citadel Mosque:
Click images for larger view.